Sound: Session 4 and Post-Production

In today’s workshop, I learnt more advance editing techniques available in Adobe Audition. How to use plug-ins like fx filters, parametric equalisers, and compressors and limiters. After that, I continued to edit my project until it was complete.

To begin with, I reduced distortion using a multi-band compressor in the mixer section of my Audition page. With track 1, ‘Two Ronnies full sketch with blanket’, I added the ‘broadcast’ preset; making the vocals sound more professionally recorded. Before I added this compressor, there were points in the track when one of the character’s voices was raised, and the volume would reach the red zone; causing it to distort slightly. The compressor compressed the sound to all one level, even when the voices went up and down, so that this unprofessional distortion did not happen. Furthermore, with track 11 ‘glasses clink’, I used the compressor preset ‘kill the harshness’ and attempted to shrink the high frequency of the clink which made it sound so harsh. Although, this had no effect. Therefore, I decided to use a graphic equaliser  (20 Bands) to change this in a different way. The graphic equaliser focuses on frequencies and you can remove specific frequencies of sound by changing the node number, dragging it up or down. The higher the number the node is raised to, the narrower the focus on it; making it louder. In multitrack view, I also changed the volume of specific sections of the clip by clicking the yellow bar on the track, on the point I wanted to change, and dragged it down. I did this in track 1 when the character Charlie raises his voice to order at the bar “pint’a bitter Alan!” In the actual recording, my dad did not raise his voice very much, therefore I needed to change it to a higher level to match the character’s intentions. Additionally, I used the yellow bar on track 2 ‘busy room’. When the character walks into the bar, the volume of the ambience is high to express to the audience the setting of the scene. However, I decreased the volume of this background noise as soon as the characters start speaking, so that the listeners are focussed on them. [Shown in image below]screen-shot-2016-11-07-at-15-37-21

Using the graphic equaliser (20 Bands) again, I reduced the frequency of the room noise and enhanced the low frequencies of the ‘swallow’ sound in track 10. I needed to do this because when I recorded someone swallowing, I forgot to put the blanket over them. Therefore, there was some unwanted noise in the background from the room. Nevertheless, this problem was soon solved with the parametric equaliser.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 15.06.22.png

As shown in the screenshot above, the frequency of the swallow was rather low ranging from 63-125 Hz. And the sound of the room was higher from 2.8k-22k. This made it easier in post-production to eliminate the high frequencies that I did not want. I increased the volume of the low frequency swallow to make it audible over the vocals that were that much louder.

The parametric equaliser was also useful in track 2 ‘busy room’. At random points in the track, a beeping noise would play for less than a second, which sounded like a machine. I believed that this sound was not suitable for the pub setting and I wanted to remove it. Therefore, using graphic equaliser (20 Bands), I lowered the node of the frequency of the beep; which was 500Hz. Although I could not remove it completely, because it would interfere with other sounds in the clip, there is an improvement and the listeners are much less likely to notice it now. [Shown in image below]

screen-shot-2016-11-07-at-15-37-21-2

There was a point in the post-production process whereby the equaliser did not have effect on a clip; for example, in track 11 with the ‘glassware toast’ sound effect. I attempted to make the sound of the glass less severe with the graphic equaliser (20 Bands) preset ‘notch every octave’. Additionally, I used the multi band compressor preset ‘kill the harshness’. I did this because it is the same technique I used on my pre-recorded ‘glasses clink’, therefore, I expected to work for this clip too. However, there was no effect on ‘glassware toast’, which I had taken from Garage Band. Thus, I used a hard limiter and limited the db to 16. This stopped the amplitude of the sound reaching the red zone, which made it so harsh, and created a softer sound.

To finalise my project, I had the option put a hard limiter on the master channel to reduce the distortion of several tracks playing together. However, this was not a problem for me, because my tracks did not do this.
To save my work as a smaller MP3 file, I clicked File-Export-Multitrack Mixdown-Entire Session-Format-MP3 Audio-Location-Desktop. Then, I copied the file to my memory stick and external hard drive. As well as, moving the copy on the computer to my user documents. After this, I uploaded my file to Soundcloud, ensuring that I reference the book I took the script from that I adapted, to avoid copyright issues.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s